Insights from Arena Fysio on how TPM Active helps maintain & improve fitness
Insights from ‘The Movement Health’ Arena - an interview with TPM Pro Clinic Arena Fysio, Helsingborg, Sweden
How does Arena Fysio use the movement analysis tool ‘The Performance Matrix’ (TPM)?
We use TPM in a variety of ways; with clients whose rehab requires good movement patterns before return to sport, and with clients with recurring injury problems. We also use it with a lot with adolescent athletes, who are reaching an age where their training dose is increasing; their ability to cope with this increased amount of volume and intensity improves if their movement control is good. TPM does this. We see lots of different athletes, including those involved in football, handball, running and table tennis. The system is easy to use on all sports, as it examines movement control; we feel good movement control is the base for all training.
Why does TPM work in your clinic?
The tool is excellent, yet very simple. It provides the user with 3 essential aspects. First, a testing system with videos and test description, which means the user does not have to work from memory; it’s all set ready to go. The report is visual and descriptive, which allows the user to design a specific retraining package, yet, at the same time, provides a visual description to the client about their movement control in terms of high risk areas and green zones. The best part, however, is the scoring system; even those clients who get lost in the technical issues of low threshold and high threshold explanations still want to know their score. It’s extremely motivating to see that the retraining strategy has worked and this is reflected not only in the report, even in the score.
Is TPM easy to use?
We love the system. The videos ease the demonstration component of testing, the test titles are detailed because they give a brief summary of the test components and the benchmark description provides the tester with an overall reminder of the key components within the test. It means we can hop from one matrix to another without having to learn all the tests. The system does the work for you.
What do the clients think?
Our clients think that the Arena Fysio staff are really great. To a client with recurring symptoms, the inability to meet their goals, the constant reminder of some niggle or strain that holds them back, a screen with the report provide the explanation they need to find the motivation to get started. We continually hear from the client that they have finally found a health professional who understands why they have this problem. In terms of understanding the problem and planning specific retraining this is a huge plus.
For clients looking to understand the process – what are the most important aspects?
Three key things.
- Goal setting – spending some time and defining what are the client problems but more importantly what are their goals. What is holding them back and how can we structure the training to fix the problem and reach the goals.
- Timescales – different areas clearly require different timescales. Strength work takes more time to build physiologically than coordination drills. Understanding how to design the retraining related to what the report states, helps the client to understand the timescales required to reach their goals
- Specificity – the problem with some training programs is volume. Be more specific. Using the report enables the user to see exactly what the problem is. Time effective training. Keeping it simple –being specific to what the problems are is really important. Don’t over complicate, progress accordingly step by step.
What does TPM Active mean your clients?
TPM Active allows us as movement trainers the opportunity to give our clients back a quality to their lives. We deliver a test system with specific retraining that enhances their freedom of movement in order to train for a specific goal or in some cases allow them to move for the first time without pain.
It gives our clients the tools to take care of themselves. The retest gives them an opportunity to see where they are now in comparison to their best or worst form.
Clare Pedersen with a TPM Active client
A young athlete at Arena Fysio
To visit the Arena Fysio website click here
- Southampton Football Club and the benefits of The Performance Matrix (TPM)
- What can a TPM Specialist do for you?
- Being TPM Active
- The Football Matrix and the footballer
- Movement - the new medicine.
- Wondering why you are getting our GDPR emails?
- Case Study
- Case study
- Football Matrix
- Movement Control
- Movement Health
- Movement Matters
- Southampton Football Club
- Success Stories
- TPM Active
- TPM Elite
- TPM Pro
- The 2018 Movement Conference
- The Foundation Matrix
- Who Uses TPM