Wondering why you are getting our GDPR emails?
Although you might start to feel fed up with these emails, it is a necessary move for businesses to ensure they are fully compliant by the deadline. The GDPR framework will be implemented alongside the current 1998 Data Protection Act and a massive focal point of this legislation is to give individuals more control over their personal data and how companies collect and use it.
Stricter rules and penalties have been put in place for companies who handle your personal data- so GDPR basically gives you more control!
Here are a few ways that you will gain control of your data:
- Individuals have the right to request confirmation as to whether their personal data is being processed by a company at any point. Individuals may also request a copy of that data without being expected to pay a fee. It is however recommended that individuals do not abuse this right as companies can start charging for requests if they are unreasonable – especially if you make the request too often. Remember, companies may charge for additional copies!
- Individuals have the right to obtain and rectify any inaccurate personal data a company may have on them.
- Individuals have the right of erasure. You will also probably hear this notion termed as the right to be forgotten. This basically means that you have the right to request any personal data regarding yourself erased. Unless the company has a legitimate reason to keep your data, they will have to erase it!
- Individuals have the right to data portability. If you request to see the data a company holds on you, it should be provided to you in a commonly used machine-readable format. You can also request that your data is sent directly to another company!
- Individuals have the right to object to a company processing their information at any point. The company will have to demonstrate that they have legitimate grounds (more important than your rights) to continue processing your data!
So, although it may be an annoying phase right now receiving all these opt-in emails and GDPR updates, in the long run it will be worth it:
- You will receive marketing emails only from companies that you have actively opted-in to. Companies are no longer allowed to trick you into marketing opt-ins, so it is finally time to say goodbye to those pre-ticked boxes and small text on the bottom of sign up forms!
- The content you receive will be specifically catered to your preferences, which means less spam! Companies also must make it easy for individuals to opt-out, so if you do receive spam it should be an easy task to prevent it.
- Companies will legally have to be transparent in communicating how they will use and share the data that you provide to them.
If you have any further questions about what GDPR means to you and your personal data, you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Southampton Football Club and the benefits of The Performance Matrix (TPM)
- What can a TPM Specialist do for you?
- Being TPM Active
- The Football Matrix and the footballer
- Movement - the new medicine.
- Wondering why you are getting our GDPR emails?
- Case Study
- Case study
- Football Matrix
- Movement Control
- Movement Health
- Movement Matters
- Southampton Football Club
- Success Stories
- TPM Active
- TPM Elite
- TPM Pro
- The 2018 Movement Conference
- The Foundation Matrix
- Who Uses TPM