Movement Faults in Young Footballers with FAI
Poster Presentation: 19th Annual Conference of the European College of Sport Science in Amsterdam
Uncontrolled Movement during a Small Knee Bend Test in Young Footballers with Femoroacetabular Impingement (FAI): Pilot Case Studies
N. Botha¹, M. Warner¹, M. Gimpel², S. Mottram¹³, M. Comerford¹³, M. Stokes¹
¹Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Southampton, UK;
²Southampton Football Club;
³Movement Performance Solutions, Chichester, UK
Synopis of the research.....
The aim of the research was to conduct pilot case studies and document the uncontrolled movement observed during a small knee bend (SKB) test in young footballers with femoroacetabular Impingement.
- Six male academy footballers, aged between 9–18 years, with hip or groin pain, diagnosed with FAI on magnetic resonance (MR) imaging, were studied.
Movement Control test:
- The Small Knee Bend movement control test was performed.
- Uncontrolled Movement (UCM) patterns were noted at the hip and pelvis.
- UCM was observed in all 6 cases.
- 5 out of 6 participants presented with UCM of hip flexion
Discussion & Conculsions:
- These case studies suggest that UCM patterns of hip flexion exist in academy footballers with FAI.
- People with pain often fail movement control tests and demonstrate movement impairments (Luomajoki et al. 2008; Worsley et al. 2013).
- Identifying and classifying these movement impairments in footballers with FAI is essential to effectively prevent and manage symptoms by controlling movement adaptations.
- The present findings demonstrate abnormal movement patterns during the small knee bend movement control test.
- What does GDPR mean to you, the individual?
- The story of TPM
- TPM Testimonial - Kate Stobart @ RehabLab Physiotherapy
- Take home clinical messages from The 2018 Movement Conference
- Southampton FC hosts The 2018 Movement Conference
- Flexibility Masterclass with Mark Comerford
- Injury Prevention
- Kinetic Control
- Kinetic Control Education
- Kinetic Control Movement Therapists
- Mark Comerford
- Movement Analysis
- Movement Control
- Movement Control Impairments
- Movement Efficiency
- Movement Health
- Movement Matters
- Review 2012
- Review 2013
- Review 2014
- Review 2015
- Sarah Mottram
- Success Stories
- TPM Active
- TPM Elite
- TPM Network
- TPM Pro
- The 2018 Movement Conference
- The Foundation Matrix
- Who Uses TPM
- injury prevention