Movement Control Impairments are seen in young academy footballers
Femoracetabular impingement (FAI) is now a well recognised condition in footballers. Not only does it cause hip pain in the active footballer but can also lead to the development of osteoarthritis causing disablement in later life.
This recent study observed nine male academy footballers aged 12 -1 8, with a diagnosis of FAI (from magnetic resonance imaging) and hip / groin pain. These young footballers performed the small knee bend (SKB) test and observation of movement control impairments were noted.
All 9 footballers demonstrated movement control impairments and hip control was problematic particularly flexion and medial rotation.
So what does this tell us:
• movement control impairments are present in young footballers with symptomatic FAI and hip/groin pain.
The implications of having impaired control of hip flexion and medial rotation is of increased risk of antro-medial impingement at the hip. If inefficient postero-lateral hip muscles (gluteals) fail to decelerate and control hip flexion and medial rotation this can contribute to groin pain and signs and symptoms on FAI.
The SKB test is a quick and easy test to apply in the clinical situation to evaluate the efficiency of hip control.
Botha N, Warner M, Gimpel M, Mottram S, Comerford M, Stokes - 2014
Movement patterns during a Small Knee Bend test in Academy Footballers with Femoroacteabular Impingement (FAI)
Working Papers in Health Sciences 1:10 Winter 2014
Click on the link above for access to the paper
- Pablo Marinho on The Performance Solution
- Head of Education, Lincoln Blandford presents at XXVIII Isokinetic Medical Group Conference
- Moolman Physiotherapy on The Performance Matrix
- TPM Workplace - First Port of Call for First Responders
- Find out more about Reading Movement to Change Muscle Synergy Efficiency
- Reading movement to change muscle synergy efficiency
- Case Study
- Football Matrix
- Injury Prevention
- Kinetic Control
- Kinetic Control Education
- Kinetic Control Movement Therapists
- Mark Comerford
- Movement Analysis
- Movement Control
- Movement Control Impairments
- Movement Efficiency
- Movement Health
- Movement Matters
- Review 2012
- Review 2013
- Review 2014
- Review 2015
- Sarah Mottram
- Success Stories
- TPM Active
- TPM Elite
- TPM Network
- TPM Pro
- TPM Workplace
- The 2018 Movement Conference
- The Foundation Matrix
- The Performace Matrix
- The Performance Matrix
- The Performance Solution
- Who Uses TPM
- injury prevention